[leafnode-list] Re: Error Compiling Leafnode-2

On Sun-2009/03/29-01:53 Jeff Grossman wrote:

> I went to upgrade my Leafnode to the latest snapshot and got the
> following error when I ran make.  This is on a Debian Testing machine.
> All previous versions built with no problems.  This is the first one I
> tried building with the Lua functions in it, but I did not enable them.

BTW, Robert Grimm discovered an unrelated bug in fetchnews::store.c
a few days ago.  The fix for it is in the git-repo, but there's no
snapshot out yet.

I have to advise against using "leafnode-2.0.0.alpha20090324a+luascript".
It will mess up article headers in the news spool under certain
conditions.

> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.     -g -O2  -Wall -W -Wstrict-prototypes
> -Wmissing-prototypes -Wshadow -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-qual
> -Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings -Waggregate-return -Wmissing-declarations
> -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wnested-externs -Wformat=2 -ggdb -fno-common
> -Wsequence-point -Wswitch -Wunused -Wuninitialized -Wundef -MT store.o
> -MD -MP -MF .deps/store.Tpo -c -o store.o store.c
> In file included from /usr/include/sys/stat.h:107,
>                  from /usr/include/fcntl.h:38,
>                  from store.c:39:
> /usr/include/bits/stat.h:103: error: expected identifier or '(' before
> '[' token/usr/include/bits/stat.h:164: error: expected identifier or '('
> before '[' tokenmake[1]: *** [store.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory
> `/usr/local/src/leafnode-2.0.0.alpha20090324a+luascript'
> make: *** [all] Error 2

I'm not running Debian, on my arch-linux the lines mentioned by gcc in
your report are either empty or contain nothing suspicious.  Would it be
possible to run this command line with "-E" or "-save-temps"[1] to find
the offending line seen by the compiler?

The trouble is:  I cannot reproduce this and so far nobody else reported
this error.  But Matthias once needed to change the order in which
header files are included to fix a similar problem.  Maybe this has to
do with the shorthands for some "__attribute__" present in "script.h",
and if so, this problem should be easily fixable.

[1] I looked up >>gcc save preprocessed files<< in google:
http://www.google.com/search?q=gcc%20save%20preprocessed%20files&num=50
The following URL describes it pretty well:
http://www.network-theory.co.uk/docs/gccintro/gccintro_36.html

clemens