[leafnode-list] Meaning of --localstatedir when compiling leafnode 2?

I'm about to compile leafnode-2.0.0.alpha20090324a+luascript to
replace the leafnode Ubuntu package (1.11.7) I'm currently running.

What does the configure option --localstatedir do, if I also use
"--enable-spooldir=/var/spool/news"?  Anything?

(I'm planning to uninstall the Ubuntu package, compile with
"--prefix=/usr/local --sysconfdir=/etc/news/leafnode2", and put the
cron jobs and config files back in with appropriate modifications.
I've seen the instructions to run "make update" to upgrade the spool.
If any of that sounds wrong, I wouldn't mind a heads-up.)

Also, I've installed the lua5.1 package (v. 5.1.3-1) in the standard
(aptitude) way, but I still get this message when I run ./configure
with "--enable-lua":

No package 'lua' found

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables LUA_CFLAGS
and LUA_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
Adam