[leafnode-list] leafnode 2: "make update" -> "Can't open groupinfo.old!"

I'm trying to install 2.0.0.alpha20090403a to replace the Ubuntu 1.11
package (as I've previously mentioned).

I'm OK through the following steps

$ ./configure  --prefix=/usr/local      --sysconfdir=/etc/news/leafnode2   \
               --mandir=/usr/local/man  --localstatedir=/var               \
               --enable-runas-user=news --enable-spooldir=/var/spool/news
$ make
# make install

But `make update`, running as root, gives me "Error: Can't open
groupinfo.old!"; looking through the source code (but with my limited
familiarity with C/C++) I suspect that means it can't open
groupinfo.old to read it --- and that makes no sense to me, since I'm
running it as root.  I may be mistaken, of course.

When I run `make update` again, I get the lock-file error, and I find
that groupinfo is now an empty file.  I've tried deleting the lock
file, copying groupinfo.old back to groupinfo, and fiddling with
various ownerships and permissions (such as `chown news groupinfo` and
`chmod a+r groupinfo`), and I keep going in a circle.

Anyone know what I'm missing?