[leafnode-list] Re: applyfilter(8): any users?

On Sunday 19 April 2009 20:49:50 clemens fischer wrote:
> While working out a "quick fix" for the unified Lua/traditional
> filtering problem, I found a few places where both cannot fit under the
> same blanket.  Basically, to make it perfect, all invocations of the
> central function "killfilter()" would have to be set up to only handle
> one logical header line.  If we don't do this, regular expression
> anchors don't work.  The most important use in fetching new articles
> (fetchnews(8)) is covered, others are much harder to fix without putting
> more work into the quick fix than it is worth.
>
> One of the problematic cases is applyfilter(8), the program to apply
> a set of filter rules to either single articles or a single newsgroup.
> I'm thinking if it might be feasible to get rid of this utility.  Of
> course, if people seriously use it, we cannot drop it.
>
> So:  if you need applyfilter(8), please speak up and let yourselves be
> counted!

In the past, I've found applyfilter essential to remove HipCrime spew from the
spool for the benefit of my users. Even though I'm currently the only user of
my server, I'd be very sorry to see applyfilter go, since I still run it
every time I create a new rule in /etc/leafnode/filters, and I'll probably
have other users next time a lot of spew appears.

Of course, if there's a well-tested, well-documented Lua alternative to
applyfilter that can remove unwanted posts from the spool as soon as they're
seen by the admin, I'll have no complaints, but I suspect that such an
alternative isn't quite ready yet.

--
PJR :-)