[leafnode-list] Re: applyfilter(8): any users?

On Sunday 19 April 2009 21:35:54 clemens fischer wrote:
> On Sun-2009/04/19-22:09 Chris Davies wrote:
> > I use /etc/news/leafnode/filters extensively - is that relevant to
> > your question?
>
> No - leafnode/filters (the "traditional filters") will stay.

But they can no longer be applied retrospectively?

> To Peter J Ross: you obviously have a use case there.
>
> So we either have to beef up the filter fix or do that redesign.

Of course, I don't have to upgrade if I don't want to. In theory, we Leafnode
Traditionalists could even create our own fork.

I'd very much like the 20081229 version to continue to be made available as a
comparatively "stable" release. In fact, I can think of no good reason for it
not to be released as Leafnode 2.0.0-rc1, other than that Matthias is a
perfectionist. I suppose some recent bugfixes could be backported.

It's just *silly* that software I've been using without problems every ten
minutes for two years is still "alpha" software. The new Lua version may be
of alpha quality, but the last 2008 version is not. I think the Lua scripting
should be saved for Leafnode 2.1.x, and that meanwhile there should be a
*release*.

--
PJR :-)
http://pjr.gotdns.org