[leafnode-list] Re: Fetchnews messages

Enrico Wiki wrote:

> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 7:10 PM, clemens fischer wrote:
>
> You are perfectly right: I just reported the relevant text part of the
> message, but there were message-ids too.
>
> store: duplicate article <2X0He.21565$2U1.1376213@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> store: duplicate article <LL9He.23780$B6.641826@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

If you want to anonymize Message-IDs, just put a few '_' or '.'
characters here and there, like, eg. <...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.  I really
thought store.c was severely broken.

> They were not crossposts. Besides I was just retrieving 1 group with
> the N option and had an empty interesting.groups folder.
>
> The command line was like:
> fetchenws -N [group]
>
> At the end of the job, fetchnews said:
> ...[group] 48262 articles fetched (to 48263), 2 killed
> fetchnews: 48262 articles and 0 headers fetched, 2 killed, 0 posted, in 4073
> seconds
>
> Might they just be what they say to be: duplicate mids on the upstream
> server?

Unlikely.  My guess is you tried "fetchnews" a few times until you were
satisfied with what happened and the spool really did contain those
articles.  Besides, "fetchnews" checks for duplicates in its own spool,
for it cannot know the IDs upstream.

>> Enrico, did you run any "prepared" articles from news/in.coming by
>> fetchnews?
>
> I don't think so. What do you mean by "prepared" articles? :-)

Well, the normal operating mode is this:  point newsreader at leafnodes
port, subscribe to some newsgroups and let fetchnews pick up their
articles.  By that time leafnode will have set up the relevant
information for fetchnews to act upon.

But sometimes people want to integrate articles from other sources, so
they massage them into the proper format and inject them somehow.  This
procedure isn't documented and can fail in a number of ways.

Maybe you should subscribe to newsgroups the regular way, possibly
adjusting "initialfetch", "timeout_short", and "timeout_long" for your
purposes and only then using fetchnews to aquire missing articles.

clemens