[leafnode-list] Re: Duplicate posting to a moderated group

Am 22.06.2009, 22:32 Uhr, schrieb Adam Funk <a24061@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>>> Does leafnode-2 generate any warnings (that I failed to see) about
>>> conflicting flags?
>>
>> No it doesn't. BTW, does the group *description* mention "(moderated)"
>> or something similar? Leafnode looks for (Moderated) under some
>> circumstances
>> - but case sensitively.
>
> No.  I used telnet with NNTP commands to test them directly.  This
> upstream server gets it right:
>
> list newsgroups uk.legal*
> 215 Descriptions in form "group description".
> uk.legal        Discussion of legal issues in the UK
> uk.legal.moderated      Legal topics relevant to UK law (Moderated)
> .
> list active uk.legal*
> 215 Newsgroups in form "group high low flags".
> uk.legal 0001588635 0001548096 y
> uk.legal.moderated 0000105034 0000096478 m
> .

Hum, I must say that leafnode is lightly tested if one complete groupname
is a prefix of another, as shown above. It should work, but there might be
bugs.  Hierarchies I've tested with (such as de.*) avoid such notations
and would use .misc to avoid shadowing prefixes.

> This one gets it wrong and is remarkably uninformative:
>
> list active uk.legal*
> 215 Newsgroups in form "group high low flags".
> uk.legal 0001038135 0001037538 y
> uk.legal.moderated 0000107637 0000107527 y
> .
> list newsgroups uk.legal*
> 215 descriptions in form "group description"
> uk.legal        ?
> uk.legal.moderated      ?

Looks like an improperly maintained upstream server. I think the second
best solutions are setting noactive for this server, or to use
only_groups_pcre to pick out the groups you can't get from other servers.
The best is to tell the operator, and if they don't fix it in a reasonable
timeframe and if it's a paid service, unsubscribe if you can.

Best regards