[leafnode-list] Re: leafnode 1.11.7 unsubscribes low-traffic groups with slrn?

Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greetings,

> this is a question to the slrn users reading news from leafnode 1.11.7:

> Have you ever observed leafnode unsubscribing you from low-traffic groups
> (i. e. stop fetching these groups)?

> How exactly does slrn check for new news in newsgroups, which NNTP
> commands does it use (a debug log from either slrn or leafnode might
> tell)? If slrn can be reconfigured to use different NNTP commands, which
> others are available?

The default ist to use GROUP for every subscribed group in slrn, e.g.
read_active defaults to 0. If read_active is set, slrn only issues LIST
and NEWGROUPS and GROUP only when entering a group.

I will be able to do some tests over the weekend and provide some logs.

> I've recently become aware (through a de.comm.software.newsserver post)
> that people still started using the noexpire scripts that are part of the
> Debian package, but I believed the last bug in the "unsubscribe
> low-traffic groups" was fixed 5½ years ago in the 1.9.52 release.

Currently I am trying to take over maintainership in Debian. Do you think the
script should be removed? I have to confess that I never had use for it.

I am sorry that I didn't contact you before on this behalf, my plan was to send
a mail to you after the end of the holidays in Bavaria.

Rob
--
In C we had to code our own bugs.
In C++ we can inherit them.