[leafnode-list] Re: watermarks

Dear Paul, dear list readers,

Paul Brooks wrote:

> On a server I get some news from, one group in particular
> gives the message

> sci.electronics.design: XOVER: reply was mutilated
> news.task.gda.pl NNTP server disconnected or timed out while waiting for
> response
>
> It then exits without getting messages from any groups there after.

Indeed. After a disconnect, fetchnews moves on to the next server.

> Now I know its the servers problem but I was wondering if it is possible
> change the watermark for that group by a message or 2 and how to do it,
> so that it would not try and fetch the faulty header and message.

You can edit leaf.node/news.task.gda.pl (it's inside the spooldir - check
the output of leafnode-version) and bump the watermark of
sci.electronics.design. It's a plain text file, but be sure your editor
doesn't change whitespace unless you tell it to. "vim -b FILENAME" is safe.

> Or is there another / better way of doing it.

Short of fixing the server or telling its admin, you mean? Not to my
knowledge.

Hope that helps.

Best regards