[leafnode-list] Re: How to make leafnode refresh all groups without having to visit them?

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 11:40:54AM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Am 17.10.2009, 09:54 Uhr, schrieb Chris G <cl@xxxxxxxx>:
>
>> I use tin as my newsreader.  When it starts up it presents me with a
>> list of my currently subscribed newsgroups and a count of new messages
>> in each group.
>>
>> I then visit only the groups which have new messages (Shift/C sets all
>> messages in current group read and moves to the next with unread
>> messages).  Thus I will never visit a group with no new messages and
>> leafnode doesn't fetch anyhthing for that group and (circularly) there
>> are no new messages.
>
> This is a problem with reading from the news spool, rather than via NNTP
> - leafnode cannot detect which groups are interesting to you. You can
> change the cron scripts to use "fetchnews -n" (rather than just
> fetchnews) and use the touch command to create files named after the
> groups you're interested in in /var/spool/news/interesting.groups/. The
> files should be 0-sized.

I'm using NNTP, tin doesn't work reading direct from the news spool.

I don't quite see what difference it makes though.

>> Is there any way around this?  I want leafnode to always refresh all
>> the groups in my .newsrc file regardless of whether I have visited
>> them or not.
>
> Leafnode cannot read your .newsrc file, so you need to manually do things
> as described above, or switch to NNTP.

I realise leafnode can't read my .newsrc.

It *may* be that things are working as I want, I'll sit and use it for
a few days and see if all is well.

--
Chris Green