[leafnode-list] Re: Installation/configuration problems, help please

On Sat, Oct 17, 2009 at 11:34:19AM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Am 16.10.2009, 21:50 Uhr, schrieb Chris G <cl@xxxxxxxx>:
>
>> Yes, I think so, though there's no clue anywhere in the documentation
>> that one needs to do that.
>
> It would then seem that either the documentation is missing from the
> package. Is there an "INSTALL" file? You can check with
> dpkg -L leafnode\*

Everything is working fine now, the Ubuntu installation does do
everything needed.  As a consequence it does some things 'behind your
back' and the one that was fooling me was the entry in /etc/cron.d for
running which set it up to run once an hour at 8 minutes past the
hour.  I initially mis-read that as running it every 8 minutes and was
expecting the incoming news to be refreshed much more frequently than
it actually was being refreshed.

> Please check other documentation, in the package, too, and if it's really
> missing (including from files such as README.Debian.gz or thereabouts),
> please file a bug against the package in your distribution. Not that it
> will be fixed on short notice in Ubuntu...

There's *full* documentation for the case where you're building
leafnode yourself (e.g. doing ./configure, make and all that stuff)
but there's very little, if any, for the case where you're installing
a ready made Ubuntu (or presumably debian) package.

>> Anyway surely tin should still see an NNTP server even if no news has
>> been collected yet.
>
> If it knows the correct server name, passed on the command line, in its
> tinrc file, or perhaps in /etc/profile* related files that set the
> environment variables such as NNTPSERVER or the file /etc/nntpserver.

My other problem was that although the NNTP entry had been added to
/etc/inetd.conf inetd hadn't been restarted and thus hadn't re-read
/etc/inetd.conf.  I thought that a 'kill -1' of inetd should make it
re-read /etc/inetd.conf but, looking at the manual page, it seems I
was wrong - I should have been sending it a SIGHUP.  I actually fixed
the problem by rebooting after which (as I reported earlier) tin could
see the NNTP server.

So maybe I need to raise an Ubuntu bug asking that the "8 minutes past
each hour" run of fetchnews is documented and also that the
requirement to send a SIGHUP to inetd is added.

--
Chris Green