[leafnode-list] Re: How to get less output in syslog?

Am 20.10.2009, 11:15 Uhr, schrieb Chris G <cl@xxxxxxxx>:

> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 09:07:55AM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:
>> Am 19.10.2009, 22:20 Uhr, schrieb Chris G <cl@xxxxxxxx>:
>>
>>> Is there any way to reduce fetchnews' verbosity in syslog?  By default
>>> it outputs a line to syslog for every newsgroup being read.  At
>>> present about 99% of my syslog is fetchnews output!  It's not a major
>>> problem but it would be nice to quieten it down a bit.
>>>
>>> The README file tells me how to *increase* output to syslog but not
>>> how to reduce it.
>>
>> That's a courtesy of the leafnode documentation, because not capturing
>> news logging used to be a very common problem among distributions.
>>
>> Otherwise, the usual syslog configuration (/etc/syslog.conf usually) is
>> the way to go. Likely using something like "news.warning" there will
>> help; most syslogds I know need SIGHUP to re-read their configuration.
>>
> Hmmmmm.  My /etc/syslog.conf has the following relating to news:-
>
>     # Logging for INN news system
>     #
>     news.crit                       /var/log/news/news.crit
>     news.err                        /var/log/news/news.err
>     news.notice                     -/var/log/news/news.notice
>
> which works perfectly, there are the expected, quite small, files in
> /var/log/news.
>
> My problem is the huge amount of logging being put into
> /var/log/syslog and this is controlled by a the line:-
>
>     *.*;auth,authpriv.none          -/var/log/syslog
>
> So I guess I need to add a bit for news:-
>
>     *.*;auth,authpriv.none;news.warning -/var/log/syslog

Consider if you really need that, or if you go for news.none there too and
rely on the logging in /var/log/news/news.notice instead. If what you get
there is sufficient, no need to keep copies of it in .../syslog.

> Just the first line above and one line for each NNTP server connected
> to would be sufficient to tell me when fetchnews is connecting.  Then
> turn on debugging in some shape or form to see the individual
> newsgroups being collected.  It would be really nice if, for example,
> I could set "debugmode=-1" in the leafnode configuration to turn
> things down a bit.

Maybe it would be nice, but what you're seeing is status and progress
logging, not debug logging (for a bit of fun, run with debugmode=2, but
remember to reset it to 0), but it would duplicate syslog functionality
for no good reason.