[leafnode-list] Downloading old articles

Hello,

I would like to download some (ok, quite a lot) old messages for my
archive. My goal is to find and save every article posted by me to a
particular group during the last 3 years. Having the archive of the
group for that time locally would be a nice bonus.

With Google Groups broken it's easier to grep the damn posts than to
find something there. Leafnode stores articles conveniently for
grepping, so I tried using fetchnews for downloading. Unfortunately,
after a certain number of posts it just gives up:
# fetchnews -vvvv -x 235000
 backing up from 1706789 to 1471789
 considering articles 1471789 - 1706793
 0 articles fetched, 0 killed
No information about why it does not attempt to download the missing
posts is given (or maybe leafnode logs it somewhere?). I am pretty
confident, but not 100% sure, that the server leafnode downloads from
has more articles and it allows downloading them.

Is there a way to make fetchnews copy more articles? Or maybe some
smarter tool for the job? Preferably a tool that would run under
Linux.

I apologize if this mail is off-topic.