[leafnode-list] Re: Requesting "legal opinion" on newsgroup Xref header

Am 20.11.2009, 21:00 Uhr, schrieb John R. Myers <jmyers@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Just possibly I am over-obsessive about keeping old postings to the
> <news.answers> newsgroup.
>
> There is a situation with fetchnews where the "Information Assurance
> FAQ" does not get cross-referenced to <news.answers>. A little
> investigation shows that the header contains the following line:
>     Newsgroups:...,news.answers^M

Hi John,

What does cross-referenced mean? Not show in the Xref: header and not in
news.answers? That would happen ONLY if either (a) your leafnode has
subscribed you to news.answers (meaning the group is listed in
.../interesting.groups), because it wouldn't otherwise crosslink there, OR
(b) you've set the create_all_links configuration option to 1 (or both a
and b).

WRT the CR, it depends on where you're looking. Over the wire, you should
have CRLF endings. Locally stored format depends on the software and OS
used.