[leafnode-list] Re: Does 'expire' really mean what it says?

Am 02.12.2009, 23:07 Uhr, schrieb Whiskers <catwheezel@xxxxxxxxx>:

> On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 19:29:42 +0000 Chris G <cl@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> > If someone wants to help leafnode, feel free to write this up for
>> > leafnode-2 and create a patch or a new section for texpire.8.in
>> > and/or leafnode.8.in. You will be credited in the NEWS file. :)
>
> [...]
>
>> What the rules for texpire actually mean is that any article that has
>> not been read for 'expire' days will be deleted.  I guess the subtlety
>> is that 'unread for 20 days' is very different from 'unread'.
>
> Perhaps a better wording for the sample config file might be:
>
>     Articles will be deleted after being unread for this many days if you
>     don't define special expire times.  Mandatory.

In the Git repository (not yet in releases), config.example now shows,
for...

...leafnode-1:

## Articles that haven't been read for <expire> days get expired and
## removed by texpire(8), unless you define special expire times.
## Note that texpire arguments can changes this to relate to the date of
## arrival. See the texpire manual page.
## Mandatory.
expire = 20

...and for leafnode-2 (master branch):

## Threads are subject to be expired (removed) by texpire if no article
## from the thread has been read for <expire> days, unless you define
## define special expire intervals. Note that texpire arguments can
## be used to change this to expiring individual articles, or to the
## number of days since arrival of the article. See the texpire manual
page.
## Mandatory.
expire = 20

HTH - further suggestions will always be welcome. I know better than users
what the functions do, so I have a harder time figuring out if/that/where
documentation is lacking.

Best regards