[leafnode-list] Re: Why am I getting these bursts of errors?

On Fri, Jan 08, 2010 at 04:05:46PM +0000, Chris G wrote:
> OK, a bit of a vague question, I'll try and describe a little more.
>
> I'm using leafnode in an Ubuntu 9.10 system to collect news from three
> NNTP servers.  Most of the time it works well but every so often I get
> lots of errors which continue over several connection attempts.  For
> example for the last few hours I have been getting lots of:-
>
>     error: NNTP server went away (server disconnect or timeout)
>     error: news.eternal-september.org: received bogus greeting (498): (nil)
>     error: NNTP server went away (server disconnect or timeout)
>     error: news.annexcafe.com: received bogus greeting (498): (nil)
>     news.annexcafe.com: address list exhausted without establishing connection.
>     error: NNTP server went away (server disconnect or timeout)
>     error: news.easysw.com: received bogus greeting (498): (nil)
>     news.easysw.com: address list exhausted without establishing connection.
>     WARNING: some servers have not been queried!
>
> ... and also an error about not being able to obtain a lock.
>
> Now, as far as I can see, all of the above NNTP servers are accessible
> from my machine and it seems a bit unlikely that all of them would go
> down at the same time anyway.
>
> So is there anything at my end that might cause this and take a while
> to sort itself out?  E.g. any left over process or something like that?

What's actually happening is that I get:-

    Cannot obtain lock file, aborting.

and then a few seconds later:-

    error: NNTP server went away (server disconnect or timeout)
    error: news.annexcafe.com: received bogus greeting (498): (nil)
    news.annexcafe.com: address list exhausted without establishing connection.
    error: NNTP server went away (server disconnect or timeout)
    error: news.easysw.com: received bogus greeting (498): (nil)
    news.easysw.com: address list exhausted without establishing connection.
    WARNING: some servers have not been queried!

This is fairly consistent.  The last two attempts that leafnode has
made to collect news resulted in exactly this sequence.  It can't be
that the lockfile directory doesn't exist as, most of the time, it
works OK.  It just gets these bursts of paranoia!

--
Chris Green