[leafnode-list] Re: Why am I getting these bursts of errors?

Am 08.01.2010, 17:05 Uhr, schrieb Chris G <cl@xxxxxxxx>:

> OK, a bit of a vague question, I'll try and describe a little more.
>
> I'm using leafnode in an Ubuntu 9.10 system to collect news from three
> NNTP servers.  Most of the time it works well but every so often I get
> lots of errors which continue over several connection attempts.  For
> example for the last few hours I have been getting lots of:-
>
>     error: NNTP server went away (server disconnect or timeout)
>     error: news.eternal-september.org: received bogus greeting (498):
> (nil)
>     error: NNTP server went away (server disconnect or timeout)
>     error: news.annexcafe.com: received bogus greeting (498): (nil)
>     news.annexcafe.com: address list exhausted without establishing
> connection.
>     error: NNTP server went away (server disconnect or timeout)
>     error: news.easysw.com: received bogus greeting (498): (nil)
>     news.easysw.com: address list exhausted without establishing
> connection.
>     WARNING: some servers have not been queried!

This is a server or network issue (rampant "firewall" or security
devices/software sometimes, sometimes a missed reconfiguration of DNS
resolver or domain name service software, sometimes in connection with
DHCP issues) and nothing leafnode could do anything about.

> ... and also an error about not being able to obtain a lock.

That means that a leafnode process (texpire, fetchnews) is already running.

> Now, as far as I can see, all of the above NNTP servers are accessible
> from my machine and it seems a bit unlikely that all of them would go
> down at the same time anyway.

"Accessible" by what means?

> So is there anything at my end that might cause this and take a while
> to sort itself out?  E.g. any left over process or something like that?

Unlikely.