[leafnode-list] Re: error message question

On Sat, 22 May 2010, Theodore Heise wrote:

> I'm polling news.eternal-september.org with leafnode (version
> leafnode-2.0.0.alpha 20060608b in case it matters) running on
> Slackware 10.2.  I've been using this setup for years with a
> variety of nntp servers (including ES since it was motz) without
> problem, and on May 21 at 08:24:03 (EDT) began getting the
> following error message:
>
> connecting to news.eternal-september.org:nntp: cannot create
> socket: Address family not supported by protocol

Well, it turns out there probably is some relationship to leafnode.

Short answer is that ES had some DNS changes and my firewall was
blocking connections, and I think that was causing leafnode to try
an IPv6 address returned by DNS.  My kernel isn't set up for IPv6,
so the attempts were barfing.

More details are on usenet group eternal-september.support.  I can
post here, if there is any interest.

--
Theodore (Ted) Heise     <theo@xxxxxxxx>     Bloomington, IN, USA