[leafnode-list] Re: fetchnews error, leafnode-2.0.0.alpha20090908a.luascript

andrew wrote:

> Is this the same problem:
>
> http://www.dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de/pipermail/leafnode-list/2009q3/002133.html

Looks like it.  I'm not entirely sure this is Lua related, because it
happens with lua-disabled builds as well.  My problem is this:  the Lua
filtering extension works very well, but it doesn't integrate with the
older filtering code.  Lua can look at and work with entire articles,
and it can use results from previous runs, while the old code only ever
looks at single lines with PCRE regular expressions.  The Lua extension
was designed to be neutral and it is possible to build with and without
Lua from the same code, but there are these corner cases.  I had the
impression that after the last fixes one could use either Lua or the old
code for filtering, but not both.

Matthias, the project leader, would need to decide weather to dump the
old code or integrate it with Lua as an alternative.  There's code
sitting in the repo doing this integration, but it doesn't have Matthias
official approval and it needs testing.  It also needs a git merge
operation to have in the production release, but this too is Matthias
decision.

Christian Ebert said back then:  "No rush. 20081229a does an extremely
solid job -- albeit without lua ;-)".  For the time being, I'd advise
going the same route.

clemens