[leafnode-list] Re: fqdn problem

  On 7/18/2010 8:37 PM, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Am 17.07.2010, 09:06 Uhr, schrieb Eric S. Johansson:
>
>>    Jul 17 02:40:51 redhat-1 xinetd[25746]: START: nntp pid=25768
>> from=192.168.8.181
>> Jul 17 02:40:51 redhat-1 leafnode[25768]:  Leafnode must have a
>> fully-qualified
>> domain name, not just "localhost.localdomain". Edit your /etc/hosts file
>> to add
>> a fully qualified domain name.
> Which leafnode version are you using?  This is the first report in a long
> time.
leafnode-2.0.0.alpha20090908a.luascript.tar.bz2  if memory serves, this was the
latest I found on the site.

> It's not related to the IP or bound address, but the computer's hostname.
>
> I *guess* that turning on the virtual ethernet interface also changed the
> hostname (check with the hostname command) and/or how the actual hostname
> resolves.  What is the virtual ethernet interface related to? Some virtual
> computer (VMware/VirtualBox/Bochs/...) or plain networking stuff?

that was it. When I created a virtual interface using the Red Hat network
configuration tool, it overrode the host name system was created with. Special,
so very special. Sorry for the alarm. I would suggest changing the warning
message to say something like "hostname reported as %s, it should be a fully
qualified domain name and not localhost.localdomain. The hints to edit a hosts
file completely threw me off.

thanks for putting me back on the right track.

--- eric