[leafnode-list] Re: texpire and long expiry times

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010, Matthias Andree wrote:

> Am 19.06.2010, 17:04 Uhr, schrieb Robert Marshall:
>
>> Way back in November 2008 I changed the expiry for one group from
>> 42 days to 366 days. I then didn't see any articles expire for that
>> group until around December 2009 (more or less expected). However
>> once the anniversary passed when lots of articles were deleted it
>> went back to no articles at all being deleted.
>>
>> This group has posts more or less every day so I was expecting it
>> to be trimming back ones which were over a year old. They're aren't
>> any *very* long threads (I was just using texpire -vvvv) and I
>> using my newsreader wasn't inspecting very old articles (just me
>> using the server) so I'm a bit puzzled as to why nothing was being
>> expired.
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> this might show because leafnode-2 expires thread-based unless you
> add the -a option. However given this case I'd like to ask you to
> save the .overview file of the group, and a lsmac.pl (a script
> shipped in the tools/ source directory) listing of the group
> directory first, so we have any chance at all at figuring out what
> might cause this.

Just to add more data to this issue (from a bit back) daily runs of texpire
continued to remove zero articles, at least whenever I made a check, until
this morning when:

uk.religion.christian: 7935 articles deleted, 20218 kept

(the expiry is 366 days and around 18000 articles were posted in 2010)

It would appear to me that the expiry is performed on multiples (approx?)
of the number of days set for expiry in the config file, but when I looked
at the code I couldn't see any particular save state there which might be
causing it

Robert
--
Links and things http://rmstar.blogspot.com/