[leafnode-list] Re: leafnode 2 not creating "all_links" in gmane?hierarchy.

On Mon-2011/05/09-14:38 Adam Funk wrote:

> On 2011-05-09, Christian Ebert wrote:
>
>> * Adam Funk on Monday, May 09, 2011 at 10:37:33 +0100

>>> For example, one of the messages in my spool includes these headers
>>>
>>> #v+
>>> Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gnome.apps.gnucash.user,gmane.spam.detected
>>> #v-
>>
>> Are you sure gmane.spam.detected is a valid group name?
>>
>> http://dir.gmane.org/search.php?match=gmane.spam.detected
>>
>> turns up empty.
>
> Well, it's what gmane tells you to use!
>
>   All messages are run through SpamAssassin to determine whether they
>   are spam messages or not. Messages that SpamAssassin say are spam
>   are cross-posted to the gmane.spam.detected group. If you're
>   reading the Gmane groups through a news reader, you can instruct it
>   to kill/score articles based on the Xref header. Just kill all
>   messages that match gmane.spam.detected.
>
> http://gmane.org/filter.php

Whatever gmane.org says, they sure don't advertise gmane.spam.detected
(gsd) as a newsgroup, you might check news/leaf.node/groupinfo .

See [1][2][3].  It seems gsd isn't actually provided externally, so
leafnode won't ever find articles in it, thus never create the group and
never have anything to Xref.

http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.discuss/month=20051201
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/pan-users/2006-02/msg00032.html
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.discuss/8922

>>> #v+
>>> server = news.gmane.org
>>> only_groups_pcre = (gmane\.|control\.)
>>> #v-

This doesn't bear on your problem, but why isn't this:

    only_groups_pcre = ^(gmane\.|control\.)

Note the caret anchoring the pattern match at the very beginning.
I can't think of a reason why your version should fail, but to me the
caret looks "tidier".  It also makes the match fail earlier and saves
a few cycles.

> Sorry, my leafnode is compiled with lua disabled; here's the full
> output of leafnode-version:
>
> #v+
> version: leafnode-2.0.0.alpha20090908a.luascript
> current machine: Linux bunsen 2.6.35-28-generic #50-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 18 19:00:26 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux
> bindir: /usr/local/bin
> sysconfdir: /etc/news/leafnode2
> default spooldir: /var/spool/news
> IPv6: yes
> default MTA: /usr/sbin/sendmail
> pcre version: 8.02 2010-03-19
> Lua scripting: no
> #v-

Now that is nice to know.  I think few people have simply tried to
disable Lua in the newer leafnode2 versions.  I'm glad the compatibility
shim works.  The requirement to have the Lua code present but allowing
it to be disabled (ie. replaced by stubs) was one of the important
points in my proposal when I came up with the idea.

clemens