[leafnode-list] Re: leafnode 2 not creating "all_links" in gmane?hierarchy.

On 2011-05-09, clemens fischer wrote:
>>> * Adam Funk on Monday, May 09, 2011 at 10:37:33 +0100

Further info: I fetched this message using netcat and NNTP commands
directly from news.gmane.org and found gmane.spam.detected in both
headers:

#v+
Newsgroups: gmane.comp.gnome.apps.gnucash.user,gmane.spam.detected
#v-

> Whatever gmane.org says, they sure don't advertise gmane.spam.detected
> (gsd) as a newsgroup, you might check news/leaf.node/groupinfo .

It's not there (on my server).  It hadn't occurred to me that an
upstream server would use groups in its headers that it doesn't
include in its group list.

> See [1][2][3].  It seems gsd isn't actually provided externally, so
> leafnode won't ever find articles in it, thus never create the group and
> never have anything to Xref.
>
> http://blog.gmane.org/gmane.discuss/month=20051201
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/pan-users/2006-02/msg00032.html
> http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.discuss/8922

Thanks, now I understand.  I'd expected leafnode to construct local
Xref headers (and to create group directories locally) from the
fetched messages' Xref or Newsgroup headers.  I guess leafnode does
something like that *but* deletes groups that aren't in the local
groupinfo?