[leafnode-list] Re: Fetchnews doesn't fetch any news

Hello,

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 11:39:47PM +0100, houghi wrote:
> I have a NAS QNAP TS-410 and installed leafnode on it. The service is
> running. I can telnet to it and I even can get a post into the queue and
> see that with newsq:

What kind of OS is running on this multimedia server/storage server? By
now I only found some short notice about a "qpkg plugin system".

> [~] # fetchnews -f -vvvv
> leafnode 1.11.7: verbosity level is 4, debugmode is 0
> Forced active fetch requested from command-line (option -f).
> try_lock(timeout=5), fqdn="nas.houghi"
> erased stale pid 5027 host nas.houghi lockfile /opt/var/spool/news/leaf.node/lock.file
> news.sunsite.dk: connecting to port nntp...
> Aborted

Point of failure is the connection to the other server in fetchnews. To
me it looks like this "Aborted" was not written by fetchnews.

How long is the time between the connecting-message and the aborted?

> The config file is from another system that works. The connecting to port nntp works as well:

Same version of leafnode?

What computer did you make your telnet-attempt from? Was it the NAS QNAP
or was it your PC? Try telnetting from QNAP, if possible.

> What can I do to get this working?

My first guess: Adjust firewall. Some time of waiting and an "Aborted"
was what I got when I tried connecting to some port, existing, though
not reachable.

The URL you mentioned marked this package as unstable. Seems like
someone tried to get things up. Maybe he or she wasn't successful
either. In any case, version 1.11.7 was released around 2009. There's
1.11.8 out there by now. Maybe an update would help, although ...

The "Aborted" was not printed by leafnode, if I remeber correctly. So
updating the underlying library (some glibc or libc or something) might
help also.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Martin