[leafnode-list] Re: Fetchnews doesn't fetch any news

On Sun, Dec 25, 2011 at 07:49:32AM +0100, Martin Brunzel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 11:39:47PM +0100, houghi wrote:
> > I have a NAS QNAP TS-410 and installed leafnode on it. The service is
> > running. I can telnet to it and I even can get a post into the queue and
> > see that with newsq:
>
> What kind of OS is running on this multimedia server/storage server? By
> now I only found some short notice about a "qpkg plugin system".

The OS is Linux:
[~] # uname -a
Linux nas 2.6.33.2 #1 Sun Oct 2 02:10:57 CST 2011 armv5tel unknown

> > [~] # fetchnews -f -vvvv
> > leafnode 1.11.7: verbosity level is 4, debugmode is 0
> > Forced active fetch requested from command-line (option -f).
> > try_lock(timeout=5), fqdn="nas.houghi"
> > erased stale pid 5027 host nas.houghi lockfile /opt/var/spool/news/leaf.node/lock.file
> > news.sunsite.dk: connecting to port nntp...
> > Aborted
>
> Point of failure is the connection to the other server in fetchnews. To
> me it looks like this "Aborted" was not written by fetchnews.

OK. A telnet to the server is possible when I do it by hand.

> How long is the time between the connecting-message and the aborted?

Almost immidiatly. Talking about less then a second.

> > The config file is from another system that works. The connecting to port nntp works as well:
>
> Same version of leafnode?

The version I have working is from 1.11.8, but the same config file I have
used for several years now.

> What computer did you make your telnet-attempt from? Was it the NAS QNAP
> or was it your PC? Try telnetting from QNAP, if possible.

It did it from the QNAP. I have complete ssh access to the device.

> > What can I do to get this working?
>
> My first guess: Adjust firewall. Some time of waiting and an "Aborted"
> was what I got when I tried connecting to some port, existing, though
> not reachable.

No waiting and no firewall and ability to use telnet makes it clear that
it isn't a DNS or port issue.

> The URL you mentioned marked this package as unstable. Seems like
> someone tried to get things up. Maybe he or she wasn't successful
> either. In any case, version 1.11.7 was released around 2009. There's
> 1.11.8 out there by now. Maybe an update would help, although ...

OK, due to the minor version issue, I did not realize there was so much
time between those versions (which is good, because it shows stability)

> The "Aborted" was not printed by leafnode, if I remeber correctly. So
> updating the underlying library (some glibc or libc or something) might
> help also.

Thanks. I will see if I am able to either build it myself or contact the
package writer.

> Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Same to you and thanks already for the feedback.

houghi
--
This is written under the inluence of the following: