[leafnode-list] Re: large volume (binary) groups

On 25/05/2012 12:13 AM, Thufir wrote:
Leafnode doesn't handle binary groups well?

It seems to handle them well enough for me - but I only have a have a couple that are active, and not much traffic in them.

Leafnode doesn't do anything with newsgroups apart from store the data. If you want something that decodes the files and assembles them and so on, that's not what Leafnode does. It is a news server pure and simple.

But if you are looking at pulling down large amounts of traffic, or keeping news for a long period, a full NNTP-based system, such as INN, is what you need.

Leafnode goes over the list of active newsgroups and pulls down the messages that have not been seen for each one - just like a news reader does. So, yes, pulling down vast amounts of binaries will stop you receiving other groups until they complete.

	Cheers,
		Gary	B-)