[leafnode-list] Re: running texpire weekly instead of daily?

On 2012-08-22, Matthias Andree wrote:

> Am 12.07.2012 13:06, schrieb Adam Funk:
>> I have a fairly long retention period in my leafnode configuration,
>> and the cron.daily/leafnode job takes about 1 hour to run.  (I'm
>> running leafnode-2.0.0.alpha20110807b.luascript, and the cron script
>> might have been copied from an old Debian/Ubuntu package.)
>>
>> Is the texpire running time related more to the size of the spool or
>> the number of articles that it decides to delete?
>
> Adam,
>
> it is the number of articles that matters most, and to how many groups
> they are cross-posted.
>
>> Would it do any harm to run it weekly instead of daily?
>
> I don't think so, if you can spare the disk space for expired articles
> for six more days (which I suppose).  There are no implicit dependencies
> on texpire being run daily.  Leafnode was originally written in the
> 1990s when disk space was a premium. :)

Thanks.  I asked the same question in news.software.readers & was
advised to try it & see.  In case anyone here is interested, here are
the results I got:

days   texpire   h:m:s per   m:s per
since  run       million     million
last   time      deletions   retentions
run
1      1:20:56   07:09:06    37:23
1      1:21:23   00:02:03    37:34
1      1:21:59   15:14:27    37:50
1      1:19:31   15:32:24    36:40
1      1:24:04   05:57:46    38:45
1      1:21:09   12:07:42    37:23
1      1:20:09   11:54:04    36:54
4      1:24:11   04:55:53    38:43
7      1:23:34   20:12:31    38:16
7      1:27:13   14:06:30    39:47
7      1:28:35   18:24:21    40:15

(The number of deletions ranged from 142 to 4427; the number retained
stayed around 2,100,000.)