[leafnode-list] Re: Running trn with Leafnode?

On Sat, Apr 06, 2013 at 07:54:26PM +0000, Thufir Hawat wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Apr 2013 18:14:47 -0700, Hart Larry wrote:
>
> > Well, in asking this in blind Linux lists-and-elsewhere, I installed
> > Leafnode here in Debian, but my binary news-reader of choice is trn.
> > Cannn some1 please inform on steps I can have these 2 work together?
>
> I can say that with Pan, I just add leafnode as a NNTP server.  In my
> case, it's just "localhost" for the name of the nntp server.
>
> You have your hostname and FQDN sorted out as per leafnode manual?

RIght, it's not a function of either trn or leafnode. Trn will work with any
NNTP server, including Leafnode. On my OS, Gentoo, I believe leafnode has a
dependency on xinetd, which is configured as following:

/etc/xinetd.d/leafnode

service nntp
{
        disable         = no
        socket_type     = stream
        protocol        = tcp
        wait            = no
        user            = news
        flags           = REUSE
        server          = /usr/sbin/leafnode
        bind            = 127.0.0.1
        log_on_failure  += USERID
}

xinetd is simply started at boot, at leafnode automatically binds to
127.0.0.1 (localhost). Of course your hosts file will have to be sane for it
to work.

I'm sure there are many ways of binding leafnode to localhost, and directing
trn to 127.0.0.1. :)