[leafnode-list] Re: running texpire weekly instead of daily?

On 2013-08-10, Matthias Andree wrote:

> Am 10.08.2013 11:00, schrieb thufir:

>> where is texpire configured?  I looked in /etc/cron.d/leafnode and
>> followed that /etc/news/leafnode/do-fetch-news but don't see explicit
>> mention of texpire.
>
> On Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, try /etc/cron.daily/leafnode -- it runs texpire
> without any further options on the command line, so only
> /etc/leafnode/config matters (detailed in man 8 leafnode - many settings
> are shared by the programs around leafnode).

On the remote chance ;-) that my config might be helpful to someone
else, here's my /etc/cron.daily/leafnode file below.  (Note that I use
texpire -f -a options, which change the default expiration behaviour.)

#v+
#!/bin/sh
#
# New cron job for leafnode-2
# AF 20090407

# Do the cd so that it doesn't matter if we cannot read /root.
cd /

# AF 2012-07-31: run only on Saturdays

if [ $(date +%u) -eq 6 ]; then
    echo "texpire `date +%H:%M:%S` begin"
    # Ignores the messages texpire generates to stdout about which articles it
    # expires. If you'd rather get that info mailed to you, remove the >/dev/null
    su news -c "/usr/local/sbin/texpire -f -a  >/dev/null"
    echo "texpire `date +%H:%M:%S` end"
    # AF leafnode 2: 20090407; since 20060811
    # Debian original:  su news -c "/usr/sbin/texpire" >/dev/null
else
    echo "no texpire today"
fi

# generate mail about any failed postings.
if [ "" != "`ls /var/spool/news/failed.postings/ 2>/dev/null`" ]; then
   cat << EOF
Some articles posted via Leafnode have been placed in the
failed.postings directory.  This typically means that they were
rejected by one or more of the upstream news servers.  Examining the
news log files should provide some indication as to why.

To retry the posting move the queue files into /var/spool/news/out.going
and run /usr/local/sbin/fetchnews.

EOF
   /usr/local/bin/newsq -f
   # AF leafnode 2: 20090407