[leafnode-list] Re: leafnode retrieving previously expired articles

Am 29.01.2014 09:02, schrieb Robert Marshall:
> Matthias - thanks for this response
>
> Matthias Andree writes:
>  > Am 28.01.2014 12:23, schrieb Robert Marshall:
>  > I'll try to do some more debugging this week; for the time being, can
>  > you try raising the timeout and timeout_client values in your
>  > configuration (add them if not there, see man 8 leafnode for details)
>  > to, say, 600 (seconds)?  If that gets us rid of "Unknown reply to ...
>  > command", that would confirm a bug in timeout handling.
>  >

>  Done and I'll see if that makes a difference
>

>  > > I'm also seeing this with other news servers (eg news.individual.net)
>  > > where I get this
>  > >
>  > > news.individual.net: gnu.emacs.vm.bug last seen article was 14946, server now has 10752 - 10760
>  > > news.individual.net: switched upstream servers for gnu.emacs.vm.bug? upstream bug? 14946 > 10760
>  >
>  > Are there hints to desynchronization, such as "Unknown reply|response to
>  > command..." in the logs for news.individual.net?
>
>  Yes
>
> news.individual.net: comp.os.linux.x: no new articles
> timeout reading.
> news.individual.net NNTP server disconnected or timed out while waiting for response
> comp.security.announce: considering 75 articles 1519 - 1593, using XOVER
> Unknown reply to XOVER command: 411 No such group comp.security.announce
> news.individual.net: cannot parse reply to "GROUP comp.software.config-mgmt": "224 1519-1593 fields follow"
>
> and then it moves to the next server
>
>  >
>  > > Maybe my ISP (virginmedia) are traffic shaping nntp traffic -
>  > > fetchnews seems to be running a lot slower - unless there's a problem
>  > > with my local db? Last year my fetchnews run was taking 2 minutes or
>  > > less and now it's up to 10 mins or more.
>  >
>  > Problems with the local "db" are effectively problems with the file
>  > system.  Running texpire with an additional -r option should fix any
>  > such problem.
>  >
> Will try this

If things go wrong again, please see that you get debug logs, and run
(this is specific to leafnode-2):

fetchnews -evvvvvD131 2>&1 | tee debug.log

then review the log, and send it to me off-list, and feel free to
compress it with xz, bzip2, gzip or zip.