[leafnode-list] Re: FTBFS on RHEL-7

On Tue, 16 Dec 2014 16:10:06 +0100
MatÄj Cepl <mcepl@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> In all fun around Gitorious I have missed this. Your solution doesn't
> work for me. I wrote (and it is true) that INSTALLATION runs as root.
> We quite certainly not BUILD as root and there is no chance in hell I
> would ever get anything running as root on the build machines of
> Fedora (or RHEL), so I am certainly not able to create a new user on
> the build system.
>
> Or do you want to say that value of --enable-runas-user parameter
> doesnât matter anyway, so I can put there any random value (like $(id
> -gn)).
>
> Also, you probably didnât mean id -gn, right? What does *user* has to
> do with *group* value (which is what id -gn gives us)?
>
> *Curious*
>
> Best,
>
> MatÄj

I missed the message that started this.

I am running Mageia, which is a fork of Mandriva and borrows a lot from
Fedora.  I am not the maintainer for Leafnode.

The rpmbuild command is run as an ordinary user, and creates an RPM to
install as root.

The existing packages create user and group news.  That can be repeated
for the new version.  (That may explain the -gn, MatÄj.)  If an
additional user is required (and I don't see why,) it can be done the
same way.  Presumably the numbers are allocated by the system.

I did try one build of Version 2, and had problems, so I stuck with the
existing RPMs.  Another consideration was the different (and more
complicated) setting up of filters.

I haven't had much luck with writing .spec files from scratch, but I am
happy to test any written for Fedora.

Doug.