[leafnode-list] Re: leafnode installation on centos 6.5/webmin

On 20/12/14 13:44, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Am 19.12.2014 um 14:30 schrieb Danil Smirnov:
>> When installing on Centos 6.5/Webmin I noticed that it probably does
>> not support both inetd/xinetd (at least Webmin modules does no work,
>> although there are both inetd and xinetd procceses, changing their pid
>> constantly) because of using Upstart instead.

Of course, xinetd is available for CentOS/RHEL 6 (just run yum install
xinetd ... there is now
http://mirror.centos.org/centos/6/os/x86_64/Packages/xinetd-2.3.14-39.el6_4.x86_64.rpm
available, if I am not mistaken.

There is also something about webmin on CentOS wiki page
http://wiki.centos.org/TipsAndTricks/InstallWebminRepo

And no, Upstart is used in RHEL/CentOS 6 but it is almost meaningless
... it is switched to work just in the sysvinit compatibility mode, so
difference is really nil. I donât think you can even do anything else
with it than just to use it with /etc/init.d/ sysvinit scripts. The real
change of the initd system happened only in RHEL-7 when we switched to
systemd.

Concerning xinetd ... the most common problem with it is something wrong
with tcp_wrappers and /etc/hosts.{allow,deny} (see hosts_access(5) for
more information on those files). Are you sure you have them setup
correctly?

> I don't think Upstart can replace (x)inetd just yet, all I've found is
> about pondering and future plans and ideas, but nothing that would hint
> to an actual implementation.

Certainly it cannot do it in RHEL 6 (see above). Meanwhile upstart is
more or less and with the whole world switching to systemd (please,
don't start systemd flame-war here, please, it is not the point, it
doesn't matter what you, me, or anybody else thinks about systemd), I
think upstart is completely doomed. If the Wikipedia page is right, it
is going to be used only in Chrome OS. Doing anything to accommodate
upstart is pure waste of time, I believe.

> I really will not support Webmin.  If Webmin isn't up to the task of
> configuring inetd-based services, possibly with tcp wrappers, then
> Webmin or its (x)inetd-to-Upstart integration needs fixing.

Nothing against webmin, I just have no clue about it myself (the best
configuration tool available has two letter in its name, in my opinion,
... one is 'v', the other one 'i' ;)).

Best,

MatÄj

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mcepl@xxxxxxxxxx

In the government of this Commonwealth, the legislative
department shall never exercise the executive and judicial
powers, or either of them: The executive shall never exercise the
legislative and judicial powers, or either of them: The judicial
shall never exercise the legislative and executive powers, or
either of them: to the end it may be a government of laws and not
of men.
    -- John Adams in the Article XXXth of the Constitution of the
       Commonwealth of Massachusetts

--
http://www.ceplovi.cz/matej/, Jabber: mcepl@xxxxxxxxxx

Those to whom evil is done \\ Do evil in return.
    -- W. H. Auden, September 1, 1939
       http://www.poets.org/viewmedia.php/prmMID/15545