[leafnode-list] Re: Sorry for Gitorious!

On 2015-03-05, 19:41 GMT, Matthias Andree wrote:
> And I am wondering how much longer NNTP and/or Usenet will be around.
> It seems to be on the fall, too.

Well, I donât know. gmane doesnât seem like finishing any time
soon, and I have my own https://gitlab.com/mcepl/pyg which works
(more or less, still havenât finished parsing of Received:
headers) just fine. Actually, I donât use regular Usenet almost
at all, so I can go on with the current situation for a long
long time.

> Leafnode will surely survive a move of the repository, especially since
> it appears there is a bit of assistance from your end... :-)
>
> The bright side of Git, Mercurial, and its lot is that it permits you to
> keep the entire metadata in each clone so nobody is having an easy time
> locking up your data and blackmailing you to release it.   The dark
> BitKeeper days are gone... when they were about to keep bits to
> themselves, boom.

Yes, unfortunately git covers only code. If you are on GitHub,
all your issues and other true metadata are locked in completely
proprietary system (albeit there is an API, so one can pull out
data out of it, if necessary). Nice thing on Gitlab is that it
being FLOSS, if worst comes to worst, we can install it
somewhere else (e.g., my employerâs OpenShift) and restart
there.

Best,

MatÄj