[leafnode-list] Re: xinetd on centos 7 install

On Sat, 30 May 2015 20:29:18 +0200
MatÄj Cepl <mcepl@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> With leafnode-2 from my COPR,
> https://copr.fedoraproject.org/coprs/mcepl/leafnode-2/ you wonât
> use xinetd but native systemd (whether I like it or not, systemd
> seems to win these days, so effectively xinetd is deprecated
> anyway, isn't it?)

But most of us are running leafnode-orig.  I have systemd, and it
installs xinetd just to run leafnode.  The setup "just works."

I am not sure quite what the OP means by "I can see the server
running."  He can see xinetd running.  The leafnode server doesn't
run continuously.  He can test it with

sudo leafnode
[sudo] password for doug:
200 Leafnode NNTP Daemon, version 1.11.8 running at
dougshost.douglaidlaw.net (my fqdn: dougshost.douglaidlaw.net)

Then kill it.

In his newsreader, he has to change from the outside
host to leafnode.  I have Knode with account called

leafnode, server 127.0.0.1 and port 119.

The outside account is specified in /etc/leafnode/config.  If leafnode
can't connect to the NNTP server, I would look there.  (I have the
outside host still, as a separate Knode account, but I use leafnode.)

If a newsgroup can be added to the leafnode account, and the leafnode
placeholder comes up, the problem is not with leafnode.

HTH,

Doug.