[leafnode-list] Re: No address associated with hostname

A bit strange: I did not see messages for a few days and now I get a lot.

> >> I appears in verbose logging (syslog, through DEBUG severity) if you run
> >> one of the nontrivial leafnode programs with the environment variable
> >> LN_DEBUG_QUALIFICATION set and not empty. texpi
> ââ
> re or fetchnews should
> >> work for that.
> >>
> >> Be sure to set up your syslog to capture debug logging, most default
> >> syslog configurations discard debug severity.
> >>
> > âWhen I try that I get to see:
> >     May 23 23:51:14 munus.decebal.nl fetchnews[25709]: canonical
> hostname:
> > munus.decebal.nl
>
> That's your own, and could be resolved at least locally. I'm not
> authoritative for decebal.nl, but it looks plausible.
>
> >     May 23 23:51:14 munus.decebal.nl fetchnews[25709]: warning: news:
> > cannot resolve host name: No address associated with hostname
> That is for an upstream server. There seems to be a "server = news" line
> in your leafnode configuration, and that name "news" cannot be resolved

âNo the only server line is:
    server   = news.eternal-september.org

> given your current resolver configuration (predominantly
> /etc/resolv.conf, but also /etc/host.conf and /etc/nsswitch.conf and
> possibly unbound/bind/dnsmasq DNS configuration).  This is where you put
> the name of your upstream news server that you intend to download news
> from.

âI do not think that this is the problem, because when I give:
    âtelnet news.eternal-september.org nntp
I get:
    Trying 213.239.209.88...
    Connected to news.eternal-september.org.
    Escape character is '^]'.
    200 news.eternal-september.org InterNetNews NNRP server INN 2.7.0
(20170224 snapshot) ready (posting ok)â

Easiest to put a FQDN on the "server = ..." line.

ânews.eternal-september.org is a FQDN.

--
Cecil Westerhof