[leafnode-list] Re: No address associated with hostname

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 12:14:21PM +0200, Cecil Westerhof wrote:

> > âNope, the line is:
> >     server   = news.eternal-september.org
> >

> âI finally found the problem: there where two leafnode config files. There
> was one in /etc/leafnode and one in /etc/news/leafnode. I was editing the
> first, while I should be editing the second (but did not know it existed).
> Now everything works.
>
> And yes news was the server instead of the protocol. If they just would
> have used something like news.edit â

It is frustrating. The default should be obvious to be edited and obvious
fake. The choice would be to change it to e.g. 'news.example.com' as that
is per RFC 2606 what it is used for, because the server 'news' might be
something completely different. It could be the server where people get
their daily corporate news.

I think news.example.com would already give enough of an indication that
it is talking about a domain name and not a service. It would also make
looking for issues a LOT easier to understand.

Just my 2 cents.

houghi