[leafnode-list] Re: leafnode - what purpose can it serve? single / multi user ?

On 2018-01-02 23:34, si wrote:

> I got leafnode to run basically. But I use it on a single user laptop compy, so it does really not offer many advantages.
>
> If I simply use the newsreader (thunderbird, pan, etc.) and connect to an upstream nntp-server like "news.atman.pl"
>
> things are much simpler.
>

> leafnode only starts to make sense if you want others to read what you locally publish, say in a binary newsgroup.

No, Leafnode has some advantages.

It biggest advantage was when we used modems to connect to Internet, and
we wanted to reduce the time we kept the phone in use, and reduce the
phone bill on those countries where they charged us per minute of
connection to Internet. We connected, fired up fetchnews, waited for it
to finish, then switched off. Same thing we did with email, too, using
fetchmail, for instance.

Today it speeds up my usage. When I read a news group using Thunderbird
with an Internet nntp server, going from one message to the next means a
wait of one second or two for the message to be downloaded. With
Leafnode as local server the message load is instant.

With Leafnode I can configure several Internet nntp servers, not only
one, and Leafnode will download and upload to those that are available.

I get a log and I can inspect problems.

I prefer the way that posts are stored in Leafnode, Thunderbird cache is
inefficient IMHO. I can have a local store going back many years if I
wish, independent of what the Internet servers do.

Maybe I can think some more. However, if you don't like it, then don't
use it. Use what works best for you :-)

--
Cheers / Saludos,

		Carlos E. R.