version it is working with).

The best way I can think of currently is to run httpd, catch the
first line:

200 Leafnode NNTP Daemon, version 1.9.10 running at vision25.demon.co.uk

and then extract the '1.9.10' part and use kill -9 to zap the
process. But IMO this is unnecessarily complex.

Is there a better way to do it? Alternately, shall I send in a patch
so that `nntpd --version` prints version information then exists?

--
***** Phil Hunt ***** send email to phil@xxxxxxxxxx *****
Moore's Law: hardware speed doubles every 18 months