Re: [leafnode-list] Request for comments: fetchnews posting and deleting behaviour

Matthias Andree <ma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> The whole delposted crap is broken.
>
> I'm fixing this for _ma8 by removing the delposted callee function and
> callers. An article can be deleted if it has been successfully posted on
> any server, that way, only articles that have been posted successfully
> will ever be deleted. As a side effect, failed.postings can be removed.

One disadvantage of this approach is that rejected articles will
remain in out.going. Fetchnews will try to post them again and
again. Because the article is visible in the local spool, users won't
immediately notice what has happened.

My changes to avoid loss of articles were:
a) make postarticles() return success only if each particular article
   has either been posted or linked successfully, or is already
   present upstream (which also leads to its deletion),
b) call delposted() only if at least one postarticles() was
   successful.

This will avoid unnecessary posting attempts. I've set up a cron job
to get notified of stuck articles; maybe failed.postings could be made
a read-only group, to enable users to check why their articles aren't
distributed.

> If we want the article to be posted to multiple servers, we'd better use
> per-server out.going directories which we collect hard links in, and as
> soon as the article has been posted successfully on a particular server,
> that hard link will be removed, the article will go away only after
> texpire has run AND it has been posted to all servers.

With a command line option to inhibit removal from out.going, a
similar behaviour could be achieved, with less configuration effort.

Stefan