Re: URGENT: DON'T USE 2.0B3 - SECURITY ISSUES! (was: [leafnode-list]

Matthias Andree <ma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> krasel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Cornelius Krasel) writes:
>
> > For me a program must be reasonably stable. It doesn't have to be
> > rock-stable. I can live with a program which crashes on me once a
> > month. (Leafnode hasn't.) It is much more important for me that the
> > program is easy to use and has the features I want. Obviously, other
> > people might have different preferences.
>
> Yes, but why object to further stability enhancements as long as they
> don't interfere with the usability? I'm well aware of the target group's
> limited knowledge, but that is no justification for not correcting odd
> ends or use a bad internal design (leafnode's functions are far too
> large). Check out the Linux kernel's CodingStyle document (usually
> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/CodingStyle).

It doesn't appear to me that Cornelius is objecting to further
stability enhancements.  I'm sure that anyone who would like to
fix/enhance the code that you object to would be welcome to do so.

It is you who are setting off sirens and shouting (all caps in the
subject) telling people not to use a certain leafnode version.  No one
else here is trying to make confrontatory, thick-headed arguments.

Bit by bit leafnode is improving.  In the past, there were many more
problems with security and otherwise which have been fixed or enhanced
out of existence.  I'm sure that the varargs-related issue that you
mention will also be addressed soon.

You have submitted leafnode patches in the past.  Why not just do it
again?  I bet that you could write and submit a vsprintf that's more
acceptable to you in less time than you've already spent "debating"
here.

--
 Lloyd Zusman
 ljz@xxxxxxxxxx