Re: [leafnode-list] xinetd.pid assassination

"Dennis W. Bulgrien" <dbulgrien@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> leafnode-2.0b8\README 2.9 states, briefly:
>   Edit /etc/inetd.conf
>   After these changes, force inetd to read the changed configuration
>        file by sending it the HANGUP signal. To achieve this, issue the
>        following command (as root):
>        kill -HUP `cat /var/run/inetd.pid`
>
> This does not work for us, and I'm not sure if "kill -HUP `cat
> /var/run/xinetd.pid`" does; it does complete without error but
> /var/run/xinetd.dump doesn't seem to reflect xinetd.d changes without
> shutdown.  Is that right?

xinetd wants -USR1 or -USR2 to reload its configuration. One of these is
a soft, the other a hard reconfiguration, I don't recall which is
which. Go read the xinetd man page. xinetd dumps its configuration
without reload upon receipt of SIGHUP.

> rpm -qa |grep inetd:  xinetd-2.1.8.9pre9-6

pre14 is current AFAICS.