[leafnode-list] [ANNOUNCE] leafnode-2.0b8

I am happy to announce the release of leafnode-2.0b8. It fixes a minor
bug in fetchnews (fetchnews was crashing at the end if invoked with -P)
and implements user-based access to the nntpd. The documentation of this
new feature is restricted to the following paragraph from the ChangeLog:

090101: implemented authinfo support. If using passwords, authinfo
        information is expected to reside in $(LIBDIR)/users. This
        file should only be readable by the user "news". The format
        is "username crypted_password" per line. Crypted passwords
        can be generated with the new perl script "make_pass.pl"
        which is provided in the "tools/" subdirectory. "make_pass"
        expects username and uncrypted password on the command line
        and writes username and crypted password to stdout.

The new beta is available from
	ftp://wpxx02.toxi.uni-wuerzburg.de/pub/leafnode-2.0b8.tar.gz

As usual, the tarball is not intended for distribution.

Please continue to report problems and suggestions to me.

--Cornelius.

PS: Joerg Dietrich sent me a new texpire.c which is much faster
    (about twice as fast on my machine and with my spool) than the
    version included with 2.0b8. I did not include Joerg's texpire
    since it deletes much more from the spool than the 2.0b8 texpire.
    I have not had the time yet to investigate the discrepancies,
    but as an example, after a texpire run a subsequent run of the
    2.0b8 texpire deleted less than 10 articles whereas a subsequent
    run of Joerg's texpire deleted more than 300 articles.

    If anyone is interested, I can put the texpire.c into the
    ftp directory.

/* D-97078 Wuerzburg, Germany   email: krasel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx */