Re: [leafnode-list] Reproducibly truncate groupinfo

Joerg Dietrich <joerg@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> The & is important. No truncation occurs if only one mail2news is
> running at a time. With the & present the truncation happened in
> all of my ~10 tries. (The fact that one mail will be written to a
> local newsgroup several times is a bug in itself, but already
> known).

Ok, I finally managed to kill my groupinfo (now down to what is in my
local file) with plain 2.0b8 with your method. Now off to debug.

I presume this is a logging issue.

Note, I ran leafnode like this:

tcpserver -DHRv 192.168.0.1 119 /usr/local/sbin/leafnode -D

which is probably one of the fastest ways to get leafnode spawned reliably.

I slightly modified writeactive and caught these:

Jun 13 11:16:47 emma1 leafnode[15058]: cannot open new groupinfo file: Die Datei existiert bereits

(file already exists).

Excerpt from writeactive:

        int fd;

    strcpy(s, spooldir);
    strcat(s, "/leaf.node/groupinfo.new");
        fd = open(s, O_WRONLY | O_CREAT | O_EXCL, 0600);
        if (fd < 0) {
                syslog(LOG_ERR, "cannot open new groupinfo file: %m");
                return;
        }

    a = fdopen( fd, "w" );
    if ( !a ) {
        syslog( LOG_ERR, "cannot fdopen new groupinfo file: %m" );
        return;
    }

So somewhere, locking doesn't work out, there should be at most one
writeactive active at a time. Off to dig deeper...