Re: [leafnode-list] Order of downloading groups

Cornelius Krasel wrote:

> Jeff Grossman wrote:

> > > The order depends on the order of the empty files in
> > > /var/spool/news/interesting.groups which can be seen with "ls -f" or
> > > "ls -U".
> >
> > Is there anyway to change that order?
>
> Of course; you have to play a little with "touch", "mv" and "rm". If you want
> to know of a leafnode-specific way - there is none yet.
>
> For example, you can copy ".../interesting.groups" to somewhere else (to
> have a backup), then remove all entries ("rm .../interesting.groups/*")
> and create them anew in the order that you want to have (with "touch").

Here a shell script template I use to select the download order:

[09:24:29]thor:~# cat Order.sh
#!/bin/sh
echo "change the news groups download order"
echo ""
echo "type ls -U /var/spool/news/interesting.groups to check the download
order"

cd /var/spool/news

mv -f SAVE/* interesting.groups/
mv  interesting.groups/* SAVE/

mv SAVE/f* interesting.groups/
mv SAVE/c* interesting.groups/
mv SAVE/n* interesting.groups/
mv SAVE/l* interesting.groups/
mv SAVE/h* interesting.groups/
mv SAVE/*  interesting.groups/

You have to create an extra directory, here /var/spool/news/SAVE
You can also use this directory to store groups you don't want to download
just before running fetchnews.