Re: [leafnode-list] Cannot allocate memory?

jom1@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

> I don't understand why locking is absolutely necessary.

To prevent concurrent file updates from trashing each other.

> Only "fetchnews" (and "texpire") modify the groupinfo file...
> Also only one instance of fetchnews or texpire should be active at a given
> time.

You never know unless you use lock files.

> I presume problems occur only when running external programs that also
> modify the groupinfo file...

No, the original 1.9.19 (and previous version) lockfile creation does
not work properly. Don't do that unless that external program uses the
same locking scheme. Look at the lockfile_exists function (or just rip
it out) of the PATCHED 1.9.19 version (the original 1.9.19 is broken).

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."         Benjamin Franklin