Re: [leafnode-list] upgrading experience

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, ma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Robert <robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>
>> I had a local.groups file without tabs before no complaint was made
>> (hadn't got around to using it) but with the new version it objects, I
>> tried deleting it (as the install quite rightly doesn't touch it) - bad
>> move - as it has, as the syslog says - numerous times - a bad effect on
>> performance...
>
> Yes, killing the file causes the programs to re-read the active file
> several times. Simply create an empty local.groups file to fix this.

Well I've amended it and am now using mail2news (thanks Jörg!)

>> I first did a texpire -r and then fetchnews -f (assume this was the
>> correct order - I didn't find this clear in the documentation), I have
>> two newsservers and found that the first time it appeared to get the
>> articles twice - once off each server - the next time I ran fetchnews
>> sanity had been restored.
>
> That's correct, however, did it really report it was downloading the
> articles twice? Or was it only considering them twice?

In the texpire -r I got lots of (one for each group)

Jan 24 17:43:38 jailhouse texpire[3577]: Groupinfo file damaged, ignoring line: gnu.emacs.gnews 1 1 0 -x-

I assume that's expected as I guess its about to add the extra field

It was downloading the message twice, in gnus I could see two copies with
the same message id and different paths, can't find an example at the
moment, would texpire get rid of the duplicates?

>> When I ran texpire -r it reported that 38000 approx articles had been
>> deleted which was a little alarming, they're still there but I can't get
>> at all(?) of then from my newsreader
>
> Well, did you ever move or copy your news spool around? Restore a backup
> (if so, what backup software did you use)?

Not for a long time, and I'm afraid I don't backup the news spool...
Is rerunning texpire -r likely to find the old articles? I assume texpire
won't expire them until it know about them!

Robert Marshall