Re: [leafnode-list] SIGCHLD, read EOF, and checking EINTR

Jeffrey Goldberg schrieb am Dienstag, den 05. Februar 2002:

> > [...] I don't currently know of a better way to figure if a PID exists.
>
> I agree that kill(pid, 0) is the right way to do that.  I'm just
> speculating (without really testing) where the EOF with EINTR (instead of
> client drop) is coming from.  I don't have a firm grasp on that.  I'm just
> pointing out that it may not be a SIGCHLD after all.

Could you try running nntpd under strace? strace can log which signals
the process catches.

> I really haven't made an effort to understand the layout of the code, and
> I've never done any sort of network programming anyway, so I'm even if I'd
> made an effort, I'm not sure I would be able to say anything useful.

Sure, you have a problem and you've gathered a workaround and published
it, there's nothing wrong with that, but I'd really like to know if
we're using the right fix and not hiding an actual bug behind a
workaround. Thank you for pointing out there IS an issue. BTW, what OS
does this bite on? Linux? Solaris? Something else as well? I faintly
recall rumors Solaris would send spurious EINTR on some occasions.