Re: [leafnode-list] leafnode very slow on first XOVER

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002, Matthias Andree wrote:

> "Michael O'Quinn" <michael@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> >> I might also
> >> do other changes like adding a switch to fetchnews, but I'm reluctant to
> >> do that before 1.9.20.
> >
> > What kind of switch?  Or more to the point, what would the switch do?
>
> Make it just fix the XOVER info.

That would be great!

> >> You can run texpire for now, it does more than just fixing overviews
> >> though.
> >
> > Yes, that's the other way I've been dealing with this, but it means going
> > into the config file and diddling the expire times, then un-diddling
> > afterwords.
>
> Why?

So I don't expire something I don't WANT expired.  I don't have enough
disk space to keep everything a long time - some of the larger groups are
expired almost immediately after they are read, so I have to keep a close
watch on it.

Since the exact heuristic used by texpire isn't all that clear, I have to
bump up all the groupexpire's just to make sure.  I've been burned by this
one more than once.

Michael O'Quinn