[leafnode-list] Newbie with leafnode problems

Can anyone on this list throw any light on my problems connecting to my ISP
using leafnode.
I connect using the following command, and I am connected and dis-connected
within five seconds as shown.
I am lost, and do need advice.  TIA
linux:/etc # /usr/local/sbin/fetchnews -vvv
1.9.19: verbosity level is 3
Trying to connect to news.claranews.com ... connected.
Getting new newsgroups from news.claranews.com
Read server info from /var/spool/news/leaf.node/news.claranews.com
Disconnected from news.claranews.com.