Re: [leafnode-list] fqdn validation

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 10:07:43PM +0200, Matthias Andree wrote:

> Starting off as trying to help out and ending in articles lost does not
> sound exactly helpful. You cannot drive unsuspecting users into the
> "article not posted because of message-id clash" trap by just guessing
> from the From: header or doing similar logic.

> That's not going to work, users won't figure what's wrong, they don't
> even get a clue where to look if they never get to see the
> INSTALL/README documentation.

Both documents are provided in the package.

> I may need to ask permission to translate one of the Message-ID FAQs
> unless I find a good one.

Thanks for the offer but I'm perfectly aware that if duplicate message IDs
appear it breaks propagation for the articles concerned.

I really don't think we're going to agree here - you appear to be
extremely concerned about the possiblility of having duplicate message
IDs while I am willing to trust the LHS of the message ID to be unique
enough to avoid problems and don't believe that this is such a serious
operational problem.

Given your strongly expressed concerns I'll probably ask the user to
either enter a hostname or take something produced from /dev/random (say
the md5sum of a 512 byte block) in a domain allocated for the package
(say autohost.leafnode.debian.net).  Hopefully this will be sufficiently
unique for you?

> > The other is that for most of these users Leafnode is functioning as a
> > proxy providing offline cache services.  It's got one upstream, one

> Even for those users, the machine must be configured properly. When 5
> networked applications start guessing the host name because the system

For those users generating a message ID in the first place is a mistake
anything you do to try to make the message ID unique is just working
around the problem - you should just punt to the upstream server.  Of
course, this breaks for more advanced setups but requiring the
additional configuration there is OK - more advanced setups ought to
have more advanced users.